Mysterious Floating Mountain

I found a forgotten photo today from November last year.

The scene was rather magical as I sat in the MAF Cessna 206 heading from Haydom Hospital back to Dodoma. The floating mountain mirage lasted only for about 10 minutes of flight before the bottom half began to materialize. This is Mount Harang, Tanzania’s fourth highest mountain at 3417 meters (11,210 ft).

I edited contrast to combat the haze, and color correction due to the tinted plane windows. It really looked like this: a floating mountain.

9 Comments

1. Cindy Wyneken 29 January 2016 at 6:35 am #

You gotta know there are going to be people who don’t believe it.

• LuAnne 29 January 2016 at 6:39 am #

No really!!! It’s floating. I swear! hehe. (But I didn’t photoshop it to look like this. That I truly do swear.)

• LuAnne 29 January 2016 at 6:40 am #

Oh, and that wavy looking stuff where the bottom of the mountain should be, that’s just the windows of the plane, I think.

• Cindy Wyneken 29 January 2016 at 6:44 am #

Well it’s an amazing photograph. And since I know you personally I’ll be quick to assure people that I’m almost completely sure you’re telling the truth.

2. Rodney 29 January 2016 at 6:38 am #

Hey Luanne,
    You may not recall, but we met at the Nazarene University in Nairobi when I was there back in ’14 to photograph the Scripture portions dedication at DOOR. Anyway, this is a great photo, thanks for sharing. Photoshop, Gods way. Keep up the great work.

3. Warren Koch 29 January 2016 at 10:50 am #

Reminds me of the sense of mysticism I often experienced in Arusha, Babati and Ngrorngroro. The world isn’t always limited to the natural and physical, and sometimes God provides a visual reminder that something magical lies just beyond our sight.

4. Carolyn 30 January 2016 at 2:59 pm #

It really does look like it’s floating. Cool.

5. Keith 31 January 2016 at 10:14 am #

I’ll vouch for you, LuAnne 🙂 I’ve seen this phenomenon several times in Ethiopia where the haze layer below makes things look more distant, but above it, objects appear closer. Good shot!

6. Ryan Unger 19 September 2016 at 9:33 am #

Caleb says, “There’s no such thing as a floating mountain.”
    I’ll let you take it up with him next time you see him.