Colorful Congo

The colors of Congo captivate me, from the brilliant green hills contrasted with latte-colored rivers, to the bright colored cloth and blue doors against brown mud huts. Even the dark-chocolate skin and warm earth reds make for rich visuals. Here are some photos from in and around Bunia.

Nyankunde, south of Bunia

Jon waits his turn to buy beef at a local meat shop.

A mother prepares to tie her baby on her back.

The Men's Choir from our church rehearses at 6 am in a small mud house on a Tuesday morning.

A village scene: a man pushes his bicycle loaded down with charcoal; women wait outside a hut to grind their cassava.

6 Comments

1. Barbara Miller 19 October 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Hey Lu:
    Love the shot of the woman with the tape measure!!
    And the guy with his wellies and radio.
    Hope you are having fun!
    Hugs,
    Barbara

• lcadd 19 October 2010 at 9:21 pm #

Thanks Barb! I am. But I’m leaving soon, you know. Leaving Congo in less than 2 weeks, and will be in Uganda for a job in November, then “home.” Would love to see you again, or at least talk. Much love!

2. Krista 21 October 2010 at 7:25 am #

I love the little feet sticking out in the first photos! I almost didn’t notice them! And I want to know how they tie the babies on! It might be nice not to have something over my shoulders, but I haven’t ever seen that here in the US!

3. Carolyn Brannon 23 October 2010 at 6:34 pm #

They’re all good of course, but the girl in yellow with the spinach-like veggies on her head is my favorite.

4. Terri (Hardeman) Turner 25 October 2010 at 5:40 am #

What beautiful people!!!

5. Bruce 11 January 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Great pictures. A look into your lives and experiences in Congo. Tres bien!
    I liked the sequence about Ben. Good on you guys for helping him out. During my childhood in Kenya, our family helped out a gardener who is very influencial in Kibera today. You never know!
    I’m a new fan of your hubby’s blog. Both are great and bring rural, true Africa to light. So much still the same. TIA. Blessings, Bruce