Photos from Kenya trip

I’m in Kampala, Uganda, having just returned from a trip to Kenya with my brother, his wife, their son and his family. We went to Tsavo West National Park where we rented the former warden’s house for a day, and then rented a house on the south Kenyan coast for a week. All of it was wonderful, but I will never ever get tired of seeing wild animals in their own habitat, and elephants bring me joy. I’ll write about the trip when I get the chance, but for now, I will try to post some photos each day for a few days (except for when we’re on the road driving back to Congo).  More photos tomorrow (if there’s electricity and internet)…

Tsavo Elephants - They saw us, smelled us, ignored us, but then one of the mothers decided to let us know she wasn't pleased with our presence.

Tsavo Elephants

Tsavo Zebra - This is the view from the house we rented.

Tsavo - It's quite cool to turn a corner in the road and have this view. Although most animals stay in their groups, I love seeing the mix of different animals in the same view.

Tsavo Impala - Impala are one of the most common animals you see in game parks, often causing people to say things like, "Oh, it's just impala." But they are incredibly beautiful, and worthy of a good look.

Tsavo - The man-made water hole below the house we rented where animals come regularly to drink.

Tsavo - LuAnne with Gabe Cadd, Josh & Audra Cadd's 5 year old son. This is taken from right off the back porch of the house.

Tsavo - Zebra

After it got dark, a group of four elephants came to the upper tiny water hole, about the size of a small car and very close to the house.

Tsavo - The night life around the house included plenty of lizards, bats, and frogs. Jon caught this lizard, which was unhappy until he turned it over and rubbed its tummy. This quiets lizards down into an almost comatose state.

9 Comments

1. Miriam 23 June 2010 at 2:43 am #

Lu – are you sure Gabe’s 5? I could swear he’s older than Isaiah.

These photos are stunning. I especially like the close-up of the zebra. Incredible. You are so lucky!

• lcadd 23 June 2010 at 6:37 am #

I think Gabe turns 6 in a month.
      And thanks. Wish you could be here. You would love everything. Maybe someday. How about an Everly family vacation in Kenya?! (When you win the lottery, of course.)

2. Tim Schwarze 23 June 2010 at 6:59 am #

Incredible pictures….of course, wishing I was there, but the next best thing is enjoying the pictures you are willing to share with us! Thanks!

• lcadd 27 June 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Hi Tim, Thanks for your comments. Glad you’re enjoying the photos!

3. Terri Turner 23 June 2010 at 8:05 am #

Thanks for sharing!! I wish I could join you!

4. Tami 25 June 2010 at 3:56 am #

Wow LuAnne! Love the pictures! Especially the one of the man-made waterhole and the God-made sun shining down. That is spectacular. The wild life is amazing. I tried taking a picture of the wild life around here but he woke up and chased me down and erased the picture! Oh well!

• lcadd 27 June 2010 at 10:08 pm #

You’re too funny, Tami. What you should have said was that you tried to “shoot” the wildlife. Be careful out there!

5. Paula 28 June 2010 at 4:57 am #

Wow. Amazing photos. I’m enjoying both yours and Jon’s blogs a lot. Hard to describe how I feel; living my “small but valuable life” here in Newberg I sometimes yearn for adventure. But I’m not sure I have what it takes to live life on the edge. Maybe that develops over time and experience? But I’m thankful for the opportunity to live vicariously through you and your absolutely beautiful photography.
    Paula Jean

• lcadd 28 June 2010 at 7:03 am #

I’m happy you’re enjoying this. It inspires me to keep it up. I think that if you don’t have the natural instinct to “live life on the edge,” it often comes as you just do it. I’m actually a pretty lazy, boring person, but living in a foreign country gives me that daily stimulation that comes naturally from just being in a culture that is not my own. It takes no effort on my part except to just get here, and then things just happen and it’s fun, annoying, scary, beautiful…with little effort on my part. I really do love it, and unfortunately it’s an addiction. I believe it has come at a cost that includes a life of loneliness.